1 Bank Street, Suite 206, Stamford, CT 06901
Se Habla Español
Gonzalez Law Office, LLC

Call Today for a Consultation

Call Us203-323-1440

How to Apply for an Adjustment of Status

Posted on in Green Cards

Westchester County NY green card application attorneyIf you have come to the U.S. on a temporary visa and want to remain here indefinitely, you may be eligible to apply for an adjustment of status and become a Lawful Permanent Resident. This will allow you to live and work in the U.S. for as long as you like, and you may eventually apply for citizenship through naturalization. The adjustment of status process can be convenient for those who already reside in the United States, as it does not require you to return to your home country for consular processing.

How to Ensure Your Adjustment of Status Is Approved

To improve your chances of approval, your written application must be accurate and thorough, and it must include all necessary supporting documentation. There are a number of documents that you must submit, including:

  • You must complete a Green Card application, Form I-485. Some of the supporting documents you must attach, along with English translations, include:
    • A copy of your government-issued identity document with photograph.
    • A copy of your birth certificate or other evidence of birth, such as church, school, or medical records.
    • Your inspection and admission documentation.
    • Certified police and court records documenting all criminal arrests, charges, or convictions, even if you were acquitted or your record was later cleared (as often happens with juvenile offenses).
    • Other documentation as needed for your specific immigration category.
  • You, or more commonly your sponsor, must file an immigrant petition. For example, if you are applying for family-based immigration, your sponsor would file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative.

Officials of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will review your application and most likely will ask you to appear for an in-person interview. Interviews are generally waived for children under the age of 14. During the interview, it is critical that you answer all questions honestly and completely. You will be under oath, and any false or misleading statements could result in your disqualification.

You must bring all of your documentation with you to the interview, including the originals of all documents submitted with your Form I-485 application. This includes your passport, birth certificate, and Form I-94, among others.

Remember that the USCIS officer handling your application has the discretion to approve or deny it, even if you meet all of the eligibility requirements. Even a minor error on your application can significantly delay the process. 

Consult a Knowledgeable New Canaan Adjustment of Status Lawyer 

A Stamford, CT immigration attorney can make sure your Green Card application is properly completed and that you are well-prepared for your immigration interview. Attorney Hector Gonzalez-Velez is fluent in both English and Spanish, so he can ensure that any foreign language documents you submit are accompanied by the proper translations. Attorney Gonzalez focuses his practice on family-based immigration, naturalization, consular processing, and defense in court. To give your Green Card application the best possible chance of approval, contact Gonzalez Law Office, LLC at 203-323-1440. 




Fairfield County Bar Association Connecticut Bar Association American Immigration Lawyers Association Connecticut American Immigration Lawyers Association
Back to Top